SMX East is taking place this week in New York City and always tends to yield good information about online marketing industry data and opportunities. Here are a few statistics and trends we thought were of interest regarding the Restaurant Industry:
- Restaurants are the #1 searched category for both local and mobile categories on smartphones
- 95% of smartphone users have searched for a restaurant, 90% of these users visit the location within 24 hours
- 64% of these smartphone searches convert within 1 hour
Top Post-Search Actions: SmartPhone vs Tablet
- Call the restaurant
- Look up the directions
- Engage GPS to display locations nearby
- Look up ratings and reviews
- Search for coupons, deals or promotions
- View Menus
Optimize your restaurant for smartphone and tablet search
- If you have not already, create an optimized and specific mobile site for your restaurant. You will also want to provide your phone number and directions front and center.
- Although a tablet is considered a mobile device, its actual usage behavior is more like that of a PC. Have your menu and restaurant information (days and hours) on your site to educate users.
- Since users are using tablets to conduct in-depth research online, you should make sure that you are well represented on review sites. It could make all the difference between a user choosing your restaurant, or a competitor just down the street.
** All data from Telmetrics-xAd