Viral Marketing is a marketer’s dream come true: other people spreading your brand message for you. Can your job get any easier? The concept is great, but it’s not so simple. People will only share your message if it is interesting – you must inspire them to share it. This entails careful planning and research.
Take into consideration the following rules when creating your Marketing Campaign:
- Focus on great content that interests your target market. No one wants to share advertisements. The market has been turned off by advertisements and the only way to successfully share your business message is subtly.
- Stand strong. People admire companies that are driven and are clear where they stand. You can’t please everyone, but you can express your view and support it. You won’t get anywhere if you stand in the middle of the road.
- Be astonishing. Surprise your audience with something unexpected, this creates buzz. The Old Spice Guy will remain in your memory forever, and not because of his rugged handsomeness but due to his randomness and surreal humor.
- Encourage sharing. Sharing is caring, and that is what you need to promote. This is the core of viral marketing, so make it easy for your audience to spread the news. Make sure that where ever your brand message is, it only takes a few seconds for people to share it via email, text message, or any social networking site. The last thing you ever want to do is to make sharing difficult, or even impossible, by restricting your campaign. It will never go viral.
- Love your audience back. Interact with and involve your audience with a quick response. Remember the YouTube viral campaign Will It Blend? How do you think they got all the popular ideas on what to blend? Listen to your audience.